The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Seriously, What the Heck Did I Do as a First Year?

I can't believe I was so overwhelmed as a first year. I had a measly 4 classes (one of which was just research and writing, not even a substantive law class) and I didn't even work! Since I had all afternoon classes, I would do my reading in the mornings, and after dinner, type in my class notes (since I wasn't using my laptop in class then). I did have to spend some weekend time working on my papers when I couldn't finish them during the weeks, but for the most part, I had weekends off. How nice!

I just spent the entire morning working on my outlines for Remedies and W&T, then I'm meeting with my study partner to review Remedies. Then I need to come home and read Community Property. Unfortunately, because of the time I needed to study for that midterm, I didn't do any reading for any classes this week, and now I'm only one week ahead, AFTER I read this week's CP assignment. I need to get all of this done today because tomorrow I need to do the research for my next Advanced Research and Writing class. It's kind of annoying because instead of just telling us what to do it seems like a wild goose chase with us trying to figure out WHAT exactly we need to do.

***rant on*** What a pain! So I need to research exactly what type of motion she hinted that we need to do before I do the real research and write the paper. Excuse me, but, um, do you know I only have so many hours a week and this extra research is a real pain and it is wasting my time. I could be writing a much better paper if I used all of my time to research and write the actual paper. ***rant off***

So it doesn't appear I will have any free time this weekend. Nice way to get refreshed and energized for the coming week. Then next weekend I have to really work to get everything done, including my paper, which isn't due until November 6, because I'm going out of town the weekend before it's due and not going to work then. Lest you think it was bad planning on my part, the paper was originally due the week before (when I made the reservation), but the professor extended the date by a week. I guess in the end I should think it is the same, but it isn't because everyone else will have that extra week to improve their papers and I won't. (I can only work on them during the weekends, as my time during the week is consumed with school, work, driving, and regular reading- which I can't fall any more behind in now.)

The good news is that we are 2 months into the semester and really only have about 6 more weeks left of classes. I'm already looking forward to the time off, and only have 4 classes next semester.....like a slacking first year.

Labels: ,