The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

I Love Being in Court!

Today was the monthly violation day in court, so I was there almost 3 hours. It is so crazy! I had a huge stack of violations, and then also over a dozen other cases. My boss had an early appointment, but did join me, though I handled just about everything myself. He said I don't need him there, so maybe I'll do it alone next month. There is so much going on, at such a quick pace. I think it is fun because I have to change gears and hop from one case to another and be ready for anything.

The judge did make a quip to someone who had been driving under the influence that perhaps this ticket would save his life, or the life of someone else--- so pay attention! Also, on a case of someone who get a ticket because he didn't completely put out a campfire, the defendant had argued that he had been a scout when younger and knew the importance of fire safety. But, he didn't pour water on the fire (as required), and insisted that there was no fuel there for the fire, so it wasn't a problem. I argued that we have seen other cases with no "fuel", but wind that picks up a spark and carries it to nearby fuel and cause tremendous damage. The judge said he had been a scout leader and chided the defendant for not pouring water on the fire before leaving it and said, "Smokey is right." Anyway, I like this judge and think he is both fair and wise.

After this, I went directly to school instead of going home first like normal. That gave me a bit more time for some last minute studying. The Community Property midterm was only 1 hour and 20 minutes long, but the day just wore me out. I had thought maybe I'd work on some reading or outlines tonight, but decided to do some mindless chores that needed doing intead. I'm so tired I could go to sleep now. Thank goodness no W&T tonight!

Labels: ,