The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

My Favorite Class

When I was talking to my daughter (who, for anyone who has been living in a cave, is going to school at MIT) the other day, I asked what her favorite class this semester was. Of course, then later, I asked myself the same thing. No immediate clear answer. Some clear choices for NOT being on the list (Wills and Trusts, Advanced Research & Writing- mostly because in meeting only 6 times doesn't really even seem like a class, and because I'm not enjoying the writing!). I really want to like Evidence. I do. But at this point, I can't say that I do. It isn't the professor- it's more that I'm never really sure what he is looking for, though at least if you don't know it isn't a big deal.

Through the process of elimination that leaves Remedies and Community Property. I've had both of those professors before, so maybe there is some comfort in what you know and are used to. But both subjects are really just "eh" to me. I guess that means I don't really have a favorite class right now.

If you change the question to who is my favorite professor, I'd have to pick both my Remedies and CP professors, though for entirely different reasons. My Remedies professor is probably the most entertaining, and does manage to teach the law in between all his stories. I can appreciate anyone who makes a 3 hour law class go by (fairly) quickly. And my CP professor, even though his teaching style isn't really in sync with the way I learn, is just a nice guy, and I have appreciated that he has shown an actual care and concern for my daughter. I guess I like being more than just a student PIN number sitting in a desk. I think he tries to get us to see beyond the law, to the people in situations too, and that isn't something you find much of in law school. So I appreciate him for the human element he brings.

Enough sappiness for today. Time to get ready for class.

Labels: