The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

It Happened Again!

I was speaking with a local attorney at school the other night and when I mentioned I want to be a prosecutor, the response was a negative one. He proceeded to tell me of a recent graduate who after having worked with him on a case, commented to him in shock about the level of impropriety she had witnessed by the government's lawyers. This attorney then made a comment about me seeing the light.

Frankly, I don't appreciate that. Everyone certainly is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm getting tired of the notion that the government is out to entrap innocent victims and send them away unfairly. I'm not saying that there aren't cases of abuse, but that happens on both sides, and surely in every profession. Considering the extensive background checks that are done on anyone who works for the government, and the lack of such checks on privately employed lawyers, I tend to think there is more chance that the people not playing by the rules are more likely not on the government's payroll.

And even if, for the sake of argument, I did agree that the government's lawyers are overzealous and use unfair tactics (which obviously I don't agree to), doesn't it make sense that it would be a GOOD thing to have someone in there who is ethical and plays by the rules?

Not that I'm privy to everything that goes on, but I have yet to see anything questionable being done by any government attorney I have worked with. To the contrary, they all seem to go to great lengths to make sure their behavior is above reproach. Yes, I'm sure plenty will think I'm naive and simplistic in my attitude. But really, if I don't condemn your choice to work on getting your clients their freedom, regardless of their guilt or innocence, can you just stop questioning my choice?

Labels: