The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Not a Single Repeat

I have now completed 4 weeks at my internship and my 72 hours required for my one unit of clinical hours. I completely love working there and am thrilled to have this opportunity. I really cannot even think of a single thing I don't like about it, well, maybe except for the fact that my trial is not going to be starting on Monday, but I can't really blame anything but the whole legal system for that.

This position requires dressing in a way that I must be prepared at any time to make a court appearance, because often that is required with no or little notice. I began building up my "legal wardrobe" in the spring, and have now acquired a number of suits. Because I want to make the best impression possible, not only do I make sure to do my best in the work I do, but I also wear a suit every day.

I wasn't sure I should reveal the extent of my obsessive behavior on here, but I'm liking the results so much I decided to. Before I started this position, I hung each suit and covered the shoulders with plastic covers. They were hung in color order in my closet. Then I took a 3 x 5 card and made columns for date, date of the week, and court room, and attached one to the front cover of each suit. As I wear one, I mark the day and date, and any judges I appeared before that day. I wanted to be able to keep track of what I wore when, and make sure I wasn't wearing the same suit every time the same judge saw me. And since I tend to have favorites, I wanted to make sure I didn't wear the same one too often. (I can feel the rolling eyes already!)

Anyway, after 4 weeks, I'm happy to report that I have not worn a single suit more than once. I still have some I haven't worn, but some are more summery and will probably not now make an appearance until the spring. And some are a bit heavier so may have to wait another month or so. But overall, this system is working quite well. While I've always been organized, I will admit that this is a bit extreme even for me, but it has made getting dressed in the mornings a much easier event. Oh, did I forget to mention.....before the week starts, I look through all my suits and put the 4 I'm planning on wearing that week in a different section of my closet, with whatever shirt I'm going to wear with them. So, each morning, I just pick from one of those preselected suits that is already "conflict free" and ready to go.

Sometimes obsession is a good thing.

Labels: