The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Monday, September 03, 2007

Yes, I've Been Neglectful!

It's not that I've done so on purpose, but I've been soooo busy! When I am actually home, I'm either reading for school or sleeping......very rarely have any time to relax or do nothing (though I did indulge in some good old doing nothing for awhile this weekend!). My most "free" time is when I'm driving, which can be up to 2 hours a day, so I try to use that time to make calls I need to make, and swing by and do various errands on the way. And my posts on here have been during classes! Just easier to double up on things sometimes.

Here's a rundown on my classes:
  • Remedies- same professor I had for Contracts. He is pretty entertaining and makes the class go by quickly. I don't think this class should be too tough.
  • Advanced Research and Writing- the professor was one of the judges in one of my Moot Court rounds (who gave me good reviews!) and since she works at the Attorney General's office, I think she will be very helpful in giving us some good guidance.
  • Evidence- the professor is retired from the Attorney General's office AND was a cop prior to that. Interesting. Seems more like a cop to me. I'm not quite sure about him yet. The first week I thought I knew what was going on and then last week I didn't have a clue! I hate that! I'm very interested in the subject matter, so I just want to make sure I really learn this stuff.
  • Community Property- same professor I had for Civil Procedure, Children and the Law, and Family Law Mediation. I've actually gotten to really like him. We only have about 15 people in there, so students make some funny comments. It's quite interesting, at least more than I thought it would be.
  • Wills and Trusts- the professor I can't really read yet. He doesn't like to call on people and prefers when you volunteer, yet if you do, he comes after you! And then he gets surprised when no one else wants to volunteer! It's like, get a clue buddy! No one wants to volunteer for an inquisition. Anyway, I have absolutely NO interest in this subject, but at least last week, the professor did have us laughing a lot, which I never anticipated in this class. I'm still skeptical though. We'll see.
I did do a lot of reading this weekend and have been maintaining my 2 week reading "buffer" (having read all reading assignments for the next 2 weeks). This coming week I don't have either evening class, so I will need to put that time towards writing my first paper for Advanced Research and Writing. I did the research for it this weekend and have the outline sketched out, so it's mostly just sitting down and pounding it out. It's only 6 pages (double spaced), so not that long. If I can do it Tues. and Thurs. night, then revise over next weekend, that will work out fine.

I really don't feel like I have too much of a life right now. It seems to consist of getting about 6 hours of sleep a night, going to work, going to school, reading, researching, writing, and trying to somehow squeeze in all the menial tasks that are still mine as part of being a (not quite stay-at-home anymore) mom. I suppose that's one reason I haven't posted much- it's not like anything really exciting is going on, or that I have time to post it if it is!

My trial is now 2 weeks away. Apparently the defendant's counsel inquired about a plea possibility this week, but nothing more happened. I will be absolutely CRUSHED if this doesn't go to trial. I'm not thinking a plea will happen here, but I guess it is always something you have to know might.

In other news, I'm trying to figure out where to go after taking the bar in July. My parents had talked about taking the whole family to Maui (they took all of us to Cabo 2 years ago), but now it looks like that won't be happening. (DON'T ASK!) So, now I'm thinking I would like to go back to Italy in either September or October 2008, which is what the original plan had been anyway. Last time we went to Rome and Pompeii, and I'm dying to get back to Rome and then on to Venice, Florence and other parts of northern Italy. Well, and I wouldn't mind getting over to Greece either, as long as we're in the area. Anyway, when I'm trying to find something to distract me this semester, I think I'll use trip planning to Italy.

For fun, a few pix from my last trip there:

Surprise! The Pantheon:


Trevi Fountain:

Labels: