The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Friday, August 17, 2007

Always a Mother

Ah, the last weekend before my final year of law school begins. Of course, not like I have anything planned, other than hoping to read 100 pages of Evidence, Wills & Trusts, and Community Property, which would then put me 2 weeks ahead of my reading. (You KNOW how much I love to be ahead!) Not sure it will happen though.

This summer hasn't exactly been what I hoped it would be. I knew it would be busy, with 3 summer school classes and the internship at the DA's office. But all the stuff with my daughter has really trumped all of that- in my time, my emotions, my thoughts.

I thought I'd have time to do fun things with her, go out of town together, and just enjoy having the time to talk and hang out. That didn't happen. She's basically been in bed for the last month in recovery. And now, assuming she gets her strength back, she's leaving in a week to go back to school. It about rips my heart out to even think about it.

But if a child of mine needs me, there is nothing on earth I'd rather do than be there and do anything and everything they want me to. And in that way, I'm glad that I was the one to be here for my daughter and take care of her. I guess that's how it is. No matter what else I do, being a mother will always be my most important job.

Labels: ,