The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Moot Court Feedback

I found out the score sheets were in our mailboxes at school, so I made a quick trip over there to pick mine up. What fun! Since I argued in 4 separate sessions, I had 12 judges make evaluations of my performances. I went through and labeled each one, so I could remember which session each was from.

While I received high scores in all categories, all around, I will comment on a few. The score guide says:
70 = acceptable/ professional quality
80= very good
90= outstanding or superior
100= maximum possible

Judge O'Neill, the chief justice for the semi-final round and a federal court judge here in town, was the hardest of any of the judges, in my opinion. He gave me an 88 in "general appearance" (which includes poise, self confidence, professional demeanor, good eye contact, and good posture), and 85 in everything else (handling of the facts, handling of the law, analytical/conceptual ability, responses to questions, and overall argument). Hard not to be happy with that.

But it gets better! Judge Ishii, who is another federal court judge here, was the chief justice for the final round. He gave me a 90 for analytical/conceptual ability and handling of the law, a 95 for general appearance, handling of the facts, and overall argument, and a PERFECT 100 on responses to questions! WOW! Considering that Moot Court is all about your ability to respond to questions, that I got a 100 on that from the chief justice in the final round is about as much as I could have asked for! Yeah!!!

Labels: