The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A Trial This Week After All

You may recall that the trial I had expected to start this Monday (for 3-4 days) was continued until January. Now, it ends up I'm doing a trial tomorrow! Once a month, there is a court day for violations in my area. People can show up, plead guilty and pay their fines, try to get a lower fine, plead not guilty and request a trial, etc. In addition to all of these, we then also see the cases from previous months for updates. One of these cases for tomorrow is a trial. The whole thing will probably last only a half hour at the most, but it will be a good one to practice on.....assuming the defendant actually shows up!

My classes are going ok. I'm just always wishing I wasn't sitting in a classroom though, so I know I'm not as motivated, at least school-wise, as much as I have been. I am reading and preparing for all my classes still (unlike last year where I only read for Tax for the first week for the semester). The only class I would probably not want to read because of no personal interest is for Wills & Trusts, but that professor is, um, well, let's just say I don't think that not reading is really an option in there. Ugh.

I'm really glad I decided not to stress about the whole Law Review thing. Yeah, yeah, I know it would have been "prestigious" to have that on my resume, but let's get real. I'm going to San Joaquin College of Law. How much prestige is there for a law school in Clovis? With my daughter's medical issues this summer, there was no way I would have been able to get that comment written anyway, so better that I didn't even think about doing it. The Advanced Research and Writing class I'm taking this semester instead hasn't been that big of a deal. We only meet 6 times and we always get out early. The papers aren't too bad (at least the ones so far anyway). I'm sure I could do better if I had more time to devote to perfecting them, but time is one thing I'm in short supply of this semester.

So, how do I rank my classes so far? Ok, it's not a class, but my internship ranks #1. After that, I'd say I really like both Remedies and Community Property (though mostly for the professors and not necessarily the subject matter). Evidence is so-so. I want to like it but I'm not sure I ever understand where the professor is going with things. AR&W is good, as I mentioned above- not hard and I like the professor. Wills and Trusts sucks. No interest and I don't like the way the professor handles the cases. (Basically, he wants you to volunteer, and if you do, watch out!) I dread that class. To make things worse, it is Thursday 6:30-9:30pm. Why is it that the more I hate a class, the more likely it is to fall in that time slot?

Guess I should run.....have a trial to prepare for!

Labels: ,