The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Judicial Wisdom

My court appearance yesterday ended up being my first solo one, since my boss was unexpectedly not able to make it. Kind of nice to be sitting at the government's table alone and not feeling like I'm only there with training wheels on or something. It wasn't a big deal- the whole sentencing was over in a few minutes. But each time I'm in court, I'm a little more comfortable with the whole thing.

The judge I was in front of seems to like to share his "judicial wisdom" with the defendants before they leave. Yesterday, he admonished the defendant for the hole he had dug for himself. He advised him to climb out of it because next time the judge would be likely to throw some dirt on top of him! lol

Last time I saw this judge in court, he was checking on the probation status of some young hoodlums who had completed their community service by working at a local church. The judge suggested they keep volunteering there, even though their hours were fulfilled, as it was good for the body and the soul.

Maybe I'm just corny, but I love those kind of comments. I just wish people really took them to heart. Of course, since I'm going to be in this internship through May, I'm wondering if I should keep a little notebook of all the things this judge says like this. I think I may get quite a nice collection if I do!

Labels: ,