The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Exotic Auto Thoughts

Yesterday on the way to work I saw a Viper. It just started me thinking about cars and made me realize that while I do miss my convertible that I sold earlier this year, mostly I miss having BOTH a sportscar AND an SUV.

I had purchased my previous SUV in 1999 and a brand new Corvette in 2000. It was ideal to have both because for normal daily stuff I could drive the SUV and when I felt in the mood or for Corvette club events, I could drive the vette. Just as I like having options and variety in other things (hairstyles, jewelry, handbags, etc.), I like variety in cars as well. When my daughter began driving in 2004, she assumed day to day "ownership" of the SUV. It was easier to just let her drive that, and still have access to it when I needed it for Costco runs or whatever than to buy a separate vehicle for her. Since we live in a gated community that limits the number of cars you can own to the number of garage stalls your house has, we would have had to sell the SUV to buy another car anyway.

Once that SUV was getting up there in miles, and my son's driver's license on the horizon, we had to decide what to do. We ended up getting him a small sedan, selling both the old SUV and my convertible I had purchased that replaced my Corvette, and buying my current SUV. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my SUV. It is so comfortable and versatile, but I can't help but miss having something with a little more flash, more speed, more fun.

Of course, I know I don't need another car, but darn that Viper for getting me thinking about it!

Labels: