The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Friday, October 12, 2007

Young Hoodlums Get Told

My favorite wisdom-spouting judge gave out another little tidbit during court yesterday. Three teens who had spray-painted graffiti all over some displays in a national park were sentenced and ordered to pay restitution to replace what they damaged that was beyond repair. Before he let them go, the judge admonished them, "Our national parks are beautiful. They do not need any additions from you." Ok, it wasn't as folky as some of his other bits, but I still love that he always seems to get something in!

We had about 12 cases we were appearing on yesterday, and quite the range of things, from initial appearances and status conferences, to change of pleas, sentencing and probation status checks. I was glad my boss was with me, as some unusual stuff came up. And for all the remarks I hear about government lawyers being unethical, I saw the defense lawyers trying to pull stuff yesterday several times! I can see why lawyers learn to distrust each other. As "nice" as some on the other side seem to be, I don't want to take anything they tell me at face value. They've already shown me I shouldn't.

Labels: ,