The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I'm Done!

Just got home from my Con Law midterm. Either I'm totally brilliant and spotted and adequately discussed all issues, or I'm a complete idiot and missed more than I saw. It just seemed too easy to me. Because I'm not particularly fond of this subject matter (to put it mildly), I'm leaning towards the latter. At this point, however, I don't really care. I'm just happy to have the next 2.5 weeks off.

I do have tons of stuff I need to do though. First on my list is completing my Law Review cite checking, which I will do tomorrow. Then I need to decorate my house and get our tree, neither of which I've done yet. Then I need to wrap all the gifts, but thank goodness my shopping is all done.

I can't remember if I mentioned this before. My birth family has gradually gotten away from buying gifts for each other. (Just the siblings, not my parents.) First we picked names for each other, and then we had all of our kids exchange gifts, but some of us really wanted to do away with it altogether and only buy for our parents. Of course, my youngest sibling didn't want to, because he felt his kids (the youngest of the cousins) were getting the short end of the stick because my kids got gifts for 18 and 16 years, and his only got them for 7, 9 and 12 years. (Of course, that is only because that is how long they have been alive.)

We kind of had some disagreements, but finally came up with a solution. We decided, as a family, to "adopt" another family, and buy them gifts. My brother is involved with a mentoring program at a poor school here in town, so through that, we were able to get the name of a family that needed some help. We found out the names, ages and sizes of their kids, and on Friday, as a family, we are going to go shopping for this family, then together wrap everything up. On Saturday morning, we are going to deliver all the goodies to them.

We are doing this instead of exchanging gifts with each other. I'm actually very excited about it and expect it to be a lot more meaningful than just giving gifts to each other. I'm hoping it becomes our new family tradition. : )

Labels: , ,