The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

This is just surreal

I knew that my internship at the US Attorney's office would mean I'd be doing court appearances, but it seemed like it was more likely that doing actual trials were not as common in the misdemeanor unit. I was thrilled to be asked to do this one in September, but I thought that he'd probably have me doing support functions. Maybe not running for coffee, but more of the research and assistance type stuff. So this morning I got an email from him saying that I should plan on doing the opening statement for the trial in front of the jury and that he will do the closing. It feels like a cross between a huge vote of confidence and staring at a train barrelling down the tracks at me! Ack....giving an opening statement in a trial in federal court! I'm feeling excited and scared, but that is the best way to feel. I've got 4 months to prepare, which will hopefully eradicate the scariness factor.

Nothing like jumping right into something......

Labels: