The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

"You would make a good litigator"

Tonight we did our closing arguments in Criminal Trial Practice. I was so excited and couldn't wait to do it. When the professor walked in before class, several students were saying they wanted to go last. I volunteered, "I'll go first- I don't want to carry all my exhibits back next week." The professor said ok, so I set all my stuff by the prosecution table.

The guest speakers went long, but once they were gone, I was called on to go first. I couldn't have been happier. I won't give away what I did, but let's just say I had a creative way of reminding the jury of all the evidence and how it pointed to the defendant as the guilty party. I could see the faces of my classmates and the professor, and knew they really liked my presentation. Very cool.

This is what my professor said in his critique of it, "Excellent. I don't know what else I can say. That was as good of a closing as I've ever seen." He also said I had good inflection and good eye contact, and that my argument was both very dramatic and very powerful.

As if that wasn't enough to make my day (week, month, year?), after class, he then called 3 of us students over to the corner of the classroom. He told us that we would make good litigators and that if we were interested in that, we should pursue it. He told me that I have a good style, and am creative. I was beyond thrilled. This was coming from someone whom I admire and respect tremendously, so I can't even describe how good this made me feel.

To top it off, I mentioned to him that I would appreciate it if he could put in some good words about me to the person I have applied to a summer internship to, and he told me he already had! It would be really hard to top this night for me!

p.s. After finishing my closing argument last night and I took my seat, one of my fellow classmates leaned over to me and said he had a new nickname for me-- "The Assassin"! LOL!

Labels: