The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Needed Even a Little Less

My son has now been driving himself to school and back for the last 3 days. Yesterday, he left for school, and then afterwards went to my parent's house to get some Algebra tutoring from my dad, had dinner with them, then went to church (where he volunteers every week). He didn't get home until almost 9pm. Of course, I was in school and got home a bit later, so I didn't see him from 7:30am until after 9 at night. It's just weird.

When my daughter was still here, I got used to her driving him around, but for the last 6 months, I got back into the routine of me doing it again. It just seems strange and kind of sad for my "baby" to now be more independent and not quite need me as much. While I appreciate having the extra time every day, I can't help but miss being needed, and that extra one on one time while driving around with him (that often seemed to extract the most interesting tidbits).

Maybe it stings a little more because my daughter has always been very independent, so in many ways, it hasn't seemed like she "needs" me as much for awhile. But my son, being the baby, and never being quite responsible as I wish he would be, well, like I said, it seems weird. I know it's all part of the process, but honestly, when did they both grow up???

Labels: