The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

The DMV- A Leper Colony

Yesterday I spent about an hour at the DMV as my son was doing his behind-the-wheel driving test. They were running late, we were early, and I had to wait as my son was gone for the 20 minute test. It is downright scary in there- seriously, worse than being in a Wal-Mart. Anyway, thankfully my son passed his test. He had 7 errors, but was allowed 15 to still pass, so he made it with plenty of room to spare.

Now comes the next car shuffle. Because of the way insurance works, we don't want him on the same policy as our 2 new cars, because the rates would have to include covering him on those vehicles, which is way too expensive to do. So, the poor kid has his license, but now he can't drive! First, we have to sell the car he took his test in (my old SUV) , then buy him an inexpensive used car, and then insure it with someone else. I'm hoping we can do all of this in a week or two, because then he can drive himself to school and back. I was spoiled last year when my daughter did all the driving, but now, I spend an hour a day roundtripping to the high school twice a day. I'm eager to be able to stop doing that.

For Property on Monday, the class is broken into groups, with each group having to present a problem and the answer to the class. I don't think ours was too hard, though we had a couple of small items we aren't sure about. I do like my group though, and I thought we worked well together. Anyway, I think we'll do fine and even if we're off on some points, the professor will just help us see the right answer and won't humiliate us (as others do). Thank goodness for that.

Labels: , ,