The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Monday, March 05, 2007

Surprise, Surprise

This past weekend, in addition to trying to study for my Property midterm and working on things for Crim. Trial, hubby and I tried to find a used car for our son. We were hoping to find something decent, reliable and clean- preferably a Toyota or Honda. Since I was busy, I didn't go to see all the vehicles hubby did, but I saw some and heard about the rest. Frankly, it was disgusting. Half the cars were sold by the time we would call about them. The ones that weren't either had 170K miles on them, mechanical issues, serious cosmetic issues (cracked windshield), smelled like smoke or vomit, and/or were priced $2K over their book value. I figured it was just going to take us a long time to find a good car at the price we were willing to pay.

Yesterday afternoon, I met with a couple of classmates at school to work on Property together for a few hours. When I got home and opened the garage, I saw a white car parked next to where I park and at first I thought it was hubby's car and wondered why he didn't park in his normal place (3rd stall). But as I pulled in, I realized it wasn't his car- it was a Toyota Corrolla. As I parked, I stared at it. It was clean and nice. I was sitting there trying to comprehend how in the matter of a few hours hubby could have located and purchased such a beautiful used car.

As I got out of my car, hubby came into the garage. He quickly explained that it wasn't used. He went and bought a new one! He was afraid I was going to be upset at not being included in the decision, but I was happy and relieved! I hadn't wanted to suggest getting a new one, as I knew we were trying to spend much less than that, but we had both seen the pitiful selection that was available in our used price range. It just became apparent that buying new was going to be much easier, and end up lasting us for a longer time.

The new car is really nice too. I had a Camry a number of years ago, and they have increased the size of the Corrolla so much that it seems very similar in size to what I used to have. I would have no problem driving this as my own car (which I can't say for any of the used cars we saw this weekend). As soon as we get son listed on our insurance, he can start driving himself to school and stuff. Yeah- more freedom for him, and for me! Thank you baby!

Labels: ,