The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Barrister's Ball

Last night at the Barrister's Ball, I won a $1000 scholarship with the Leon S. Peters Leadership Award, given for demonstrating leadership abilities and academic excellence. I had applied for a bunch of the different scholarships, so it was rewarding to show up and see "scholarship recipient" listed on my name tag. The school has a scholarship committee which apparently meets and decides how to dole out all the awards, making sure no one person gets more than one. That's nice because it really spreads it around a lot. I'm glad so many of my classmates were similarly honored.

It was fun to get dressed up too! I'm normally quite content wearing jeans and a sweater, but I do like having the chance to be a little fancy sometimes. I wasn't sure if I was going to be formal enough, since my dress wasn't full length, so I wore 21+ carats of diamonds just to make sure I did look "formal"- lol! I was happy to see the majority NOT wearing long dresses! Hubby got all dressed up in a gorgeous suit. He looks so nice all dressed up. (Wish he would do it more often!)

For about the last week, I have been waking up EARLY, and it is driving me crazy. I woke up at 5am again this morning. That is just so wrong for a Saturday. I guess I will start working on some of my stuff after I finish this post so I can try to take a nap later.

On a final note, my daughter's spring break starts today and she is, at this very moment, on a flight to Puerto Rico, where she will be taking a connection to the British Virgin Islands. The parents of her best friend at MIT own a boat they keep there, so they are going to spend the next week cruising around the Caribbean in this. I guess that beats spending a week in Fresno!

Labels: