The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Reflection on 1st Semester/2nd Year

1. Tax is a big waste of time. NEVER bother reading for that class. It's not worth the possibility of 5 points towards your grade. Better to use your time making good notes in your tax code book for the exam, including the exact wording for the first question (on determination of income), as many multiple choice questions and answers as you can, and the formula for the income tax question, along with tabs on all relevant code sections.

2. I hate Con. Law, and thankfully only need a 45 on my final in there to pass that class. It's like gagging to make myself read that book. I can't be done with that class fast enough.

3. I feel like I have no clue about Bus. Org., yet it was tied for my highest grade, so I obviously don't know how to read anything about that class.

4. Crim and Property are my favorite classes, but I obviously need to put a lot more into my answers to get them into a higher grade level. Apparently my Crim professor likes you to blab on and on (not good for my succinct style), and I need to refine spotting the minor issues in Property for full credit.

5. Night classes aren't that bad, when you get used to them, and if you don't have an afternoon class the same day, and if it isn't Thursday night.

6. Even though it is more work and they aren't as "pretty", I prefer doing my outlines on my own, rather than jointly with a study group, as I did last year.

7. Law school isn't really that big of a deal. Just a lot of jumping through hoops (and trying to figure out what, where and how high those hoops are).

8. I'm so glad I'm doing the 3 year program and couldn't even begin to imagine spending a year or more longer than that. I'm ready to be out of there NOW!

Labels: