The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

I'm #5 in my class!

I couldn't stand it. Since the grades for the entire class are posted, I had to go over today and make some observations. Of course, this is all just concerning Torts and Legal Analysis (so it will all change on Tuesday once we get our CivPro grades), but it made be feel good. In Torts, 6 people scored higher than me, so I'm 7th in the class. In Legal Analysis, 4 people scored better than me, so I'm 5th in the class. However, I took BOTH grades and averaged them. Because some people did well on one test but NOT on the other, when I average the 2 grades, I am 5th in the class overall. Since the class had 75 people (at least who took the tests), that puts me in the top 6%! :) (I did notice that my Legal Analysis grade, while changed officially, has not been changed on the board. Anyone else who tries to figure out these standings will be underestimating me!)

Of course, the bad news is once the grades for CivPro and Contracts come out, I'm sure that will change. So I guess I better just enjoy my high ranking while I can.

Today was very productive. In addition to going to school and doing all these calculation, we put away all the Christmas stuff (and yeah! Hubby helped me without even complaining! Thank you baby!), and went to see a movie. We ended up seeing "Family Stone" instead of "Munich. Hubby said he wasn't in the mood for a heavy movie, and through the process of elimination, we ended up at Family Stone. Yahoo has it rated a B-. I'm still not sure exactly what I think about it. It wasn't a comedy in that you were laughing the whole time. Laughs were sporadic. Mostly I felt embarrassed that the family was so rude. The ending just seemed odd to me to. The mom dies and the final scene is looking at an old photo of her. But I didn't think she was that great of a mom. She encouraged her children to give her one son's girl a bad time. She said she hoped her children would be gay. (They do have one gay son.) She made fun of the son for him and his girlfriend not staying in the same room at their house. I just didn't find her a likable character. So I didn't really care that she died and wasn't around the next Christmas. Just kind of bizarre.

Oh yeah, THANK YOU to the 3 of you that left me comments! :) I appreciate it!

2 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you calculated your class rank, did you account for the fact that a semester of torts is worth three units while a semester of legal analysis is only worth one unit?

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, now that I think more about it, calculating your own class rank would be hard, because you would need to know the GPA of every student so you could put them in order. But the only way to do that would be to sit down in front of the board and make a list of everybody's ID number, figure out everybody's GPA, and then figure out where you fall. Simply taking your rank in each of your classes and finding the average would not be accurate (even just for two classes, like we know so far).

Not that I'm trying to deflate your bubble or anything—scoring 7th in Torts and 5th in Legal Analysis is excellent!—I'm just a nitpicker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home