The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Friday, August 29, 2008

12 More Weeks

The count continues to inch its way down.

I spoke with my contact at the DA's office the other day. Unfortunately, due to the budget problems, there isn't a paid position for me there right now. Of course, they would be thrilled to have be as an (unpaid) intern, but I'm not so sure I want to do that. It would actually cost me money (with parking, gas, etc.), and I have been urged by several people to just enjoy this time off without feeling guilty.

I'm not used to that kind of mindset. When have I ever done nothing? Out of college, I worked full time until I had my kids, then spent years chasing 2 toddlers around, and when things eased up some when they got in school, I volunteered there and at church. I've always had something going on, and it is usually something I start, organize and manage.

I'm trying to decide how to spend the next 12 weeks. You think a 3 month "vacation" would be welcome after 3 years of law school, but it's more like a shock to my system. I'd rather be busy. Maybe part of it is that everyone around me is busy. My son started college and is up early to get to his 8am class every day. My boyfriend has a job and is up early too. Maybe part of it is feeling a little left out.

At least I have used my free time to get in some of the workouts, naps and reading that I wanted to do over the last 3 years. I really need to just enjoy this. I guess it's not so bad.

Labels: , ,