The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day Three is History

Yeah! I'm done! Now just 16 long weeks to find out the results.

This mornings essays surprisingly did not contain anything related to Civ. Pro. The topics were Remedies, Property and a Wills & Trusts/Community Property cross-over. (I was right about the Remedies and Property being on there, but missed the mark on the other two in my predictions from last night.)

The Remedies question was a gold mine....so many things to talk about and the calls of the question were so specific. I loved that question! I think I wrote the most to the question over any other essay on the exam. The Property question was kind of weird, because the calls were also specific, but there was not as much to write about, so I don't know if I didn't see stuff, or it just wasn't there. I much prefer having tons to write about. The final question was also strange, because while I have done well on W&T, and CP practice essays, I never had one combined like that, so it was difficult to figure out how to organize it exactly. I answered it, but who knows if I did it how they wanted.

The PT in the afternoon was writing a memo of points and authorities requesting the denial of a defendant's motion to suppress evidence. Yeah, I totally loved that one, as it was from a district attorney's point of view, and I love the crim stuff anyway. The task memo wasn't quite as clear as Tuesday's in how to organize the final document, but I tried to make sure I included everything they asked for. There were tons of facts to put in, so I'm just hoping I used enough and the right ones.

Overall, the bar exam didn't seem to be that big of a deal to actually take. The studying and preparation is by far the worst part of it. If you have prepared, the exam isn't much. You just have to go in for 3 days in a row and do it, but it's not really that bad. For me, the MBEs were the worst, as I have no idea how I did and felt like I wasn't doing well. I feel very positive, overall, about the essays and performance tests.

It's so odd now to think that I don't have to study. Yeah, I do have to look for a job (once I get back from Maui), but I can stop being a student. It's freeing yet unsettling. What am I going to do with all my time? Somehow, I think I'll find ways to fill it! ; )

Labels: