The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Huh?

Sometimes I read stuff and I'll come across something that stops me, and all I can think is "Huh???" Happened this morning as I read this article in the local paper about an ordinance to stop solicitors on city street medians. Personally, I think if people would just stop giving to the panhandlers, they would disappear and go elsewhere. I'd rather have our police concentrating their efforts on violent criminals than rounding up the cardboard squad.

Anyway, the article contained comments from different people, including the owner of a funeral home. She was for the ordinance because she claimed that "panhandling by the homeless is hurting her business." Huh? Ok, I can see that if you have a store or restaurant extremely close to an intersection where homeless people are begging, some customers may be turned off or frightened. (But even that seems like a stretch, as most parking lots and store fronts are quite a ways off from the medians.) However, I have yet to see anyone driving around with a corpse in their vehicle, looking around to decide what funeral home to use!

Labels: