The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Kind of Shit I Have to Deal With

I filed an information today on a defendant for committing the most disgusting crime I have dealt with yet. The guy took a full colostomy bag (that his girlfriend had asked him to dispose of) and went to the Post Office, opened his PO box, and threw it through the opening where it exploded all over the floor! That is so gross! I just can't imagine what would possibly drive someone to do something like that.

I had another interesting case today. The cases I handle usually involve one of the following: DUI, driving while license suspended due to DUI, possession of a controlled substance, unauthorized access to tax returns, fraud related to the Treasury Dept. , State Dept. or Post Office, and a host of violations from federal lands, mostly national parks. Most cases are resolved by plea agreements and I refer to past agreements when deciding what to offer in current cases. For the crimes I deal with, the agreements usually involve probation, a fine, alcohol/drug counseling, and community service. Today I had an assault case and 5 days imprisonment is part of the plea agreement that I will be proposing. Nice!

Now I'm going to try to get some reading done for the first week of classes. My daughter gets home on Friday, and I'd rather not have to do it when she is here.

Labels: