The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Monday, December 17, 2007

Well, This is Annoying

Even though the school's website was hacked over the weekend by a Turkish hacker, since it was back up last night, I figured I would at least have my Community Property grades posted today. Ugh. Nope.

I want to get started on my reading for the first week of classes, but I'm tired, so it's not happening today. I'm not working tomorrow, but have a bunch of errands I need to do, so it's not likely happening tomorrow either.

I worked all day today. While the volume of stuff I worked on wasn't huge, I did finish up some tedious things that needed doing. I also think I may have finally had a decent response to a defense attorney who was trying to strong-arm me into changing the proposed plea agreement I had sent her for her client. I emailed her a very specific reason why I was declining to change it, citing facts in the case, after spending quite some time reviewing them to make sure I was correct in my position. I did not get a response back, so either she knows I'm right or she just didn't get the email yet. (Or I suppose, maybe she doesn't think I'm right (which I am), but realizes it is futile to try to get me to change my mind.) I don't think I have anything to lose. The government has good evidence AND I would only love to have a trial for this defendant oh so much. Fine, don't accept my offer. I'm willing to go to trial. Are you???

Speaking of trials, I still have a number scheduled for January. Three are bench trials to be held on January 17, and likely to happen. The other 3 stand a good chance of being delayed. One is an unauthorized access case on an IRS worker (isn't it nice to know that they can look up all your most private information when and just because they get bored at work???), another is a computer intrusion case, and the third is a forest fire case.

Even though I'm "on vacation", I still have some stuff I should be doing. Guess it wouldn't hurt to get some of it done now!

Labels: ,