The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

More on Keeping Sane

When the health of a family member is at risk, all else seems to stand still. I got news today that I didn't want to hear. Just hearing it caused a physical reaction in me......I got hot, light-headed and thought I was going to pass out. As a result of this news, a family member is having surgery on Wednesday.

Two hours after hearing this news, I was in class. It didn't seem right to be there, but what was I supposed to do? I didn't want to be staging a pity party at home. And I'm supposed to be the strong one. I can't be falling apart.

I am not sure how I am going to manage being there for this surgery and then somehow pull it together enough to compete in the Moot Court the same day. Competing in Moot Court is not an option. I HAVE to do it, first because there is no alternate time- that night IS the competition. And secondly, I owe it to my partner.

It's just kind of weird, because maybe the brain finds ways to protect you. Before this morning's appointment, I had convinced myself the diagnosis would be something easy to correct. I think my body couldn't handle any more stress, so it was the only way of coping with it. Now I'm confronted with that not being the truth, and I find myself thinking that instead of dreading Moot Court, I think it may be another way to protect myself from worrying too much, because it gives my mind and body something else to be concentrating on. Not that I'm ignoring the medical issue, but this lets me not focus on it 24 hours a day.

My request is just this- for everyone to keep this situation in their prayers. I sincerely appreciate it.

Labels: