The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Unhelpful Clerks

I made my way over to Office Max tonight to buy some light blue paper for the covers of the appellate brief that is due on Thursday. I wanted to buy 15 sheets of 8.5 x 11" paper. No big deal right? Ugh. I made my way to the back of the store where the print center is. No employees anywhere in sight. I did spot the box that held the paper I needed.....back behind the counter, against the back wall.

Another customer came along, also looking for help. I looked around for a bell or something, and nothing. Finally, I saw an employee with a headset (who didn't seem to be happy to see me). I asked him if I could get some help. He inquired to the headset which told him the person for the print center was at lunch and would be back in 25 minutes. I told him I just needed to buy some paper.

He then left to assist the other customer who said he had been there 4 times to try to pick up his order. Since he wasn't going to bother to help me, and claimed he didn't have authority to go behind the counter, I told him I wasn't going to wait 25 minutes for 15 pieces of paper and I would just go get it myself.

I walked behind their counter, went to the box, counted out 15 sheets and took them to the register up front where they promptly charged me 65 cents for my purchase and I was on my way.

Why do people insist on making things so difficult?

Labels: ,