The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Hammer Time

I woke up before 5am, reliving last night's events. The chief justice was just brutal! Of course, as he explained afterward, he did not hammer us relentlessly in order to be mean, but to find out how well we responded under pressure. And what pressure that was! I think I shall have nightmares about this (not my performance, but his questions!) for a while.

I'm so thankful for a couple things. First of all, that last year I went and watched Moot Court for all 3 nights of the competition. I KNEW going into this that the second night was the worst and that we would all be hit hard and heavy for our entire 12 minutes. Because I expected it, I was as ready and braced for it as I could have been. Secondly, my partner was nearly as ruthless as the chief justice in his questioning of me in our 2 hour daily rehearsal sessions that we had been having for the last week. Though I often didn't like his questions and that he didn't let me off the hook easily for anything, it was an excellent preparation and a huge help! I sincerely doubt I would have been as prepared if it had not been for the way he drilled me with questions as we practiced. My partner rocks (and would make an excellent judge)! And finally, I am so thankful for my husband, who has been watching over my daughter in the hospital and being the guardian angel she needs when I am not there. There is no way I would have been able to focus on doing this if I had not had his help.

I'm also thankful for knowing tonight will not be as bad. Last year, the third night was the easiest! As a viewer, I was shocked that the judges were lobbing as many softballs as they did. I will not let that lull me into a false sense of security in how I prepare for tonight, but I do believe the worst is behind me.

Well, it's early, but I think I'm going to get started. Congrats to all the finalists and good luck!

Labels: