The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Focusing

I can't help but wonder what everyone else is doing to prepare for the Moot Court competition. I imagine there is quite a range. From those I have talked to, it is apparent that many people have no desire to advance in the competition. You do not get any more credit/points for advancing. If you do advance, you must participate or you fail the class. Advancing does mean more work- you are not guaranteed what issue or what side you will be arguing. So, if you get assigned one of the 3 other positions you didn't write your brief on, you have less than 24 hours to get up to speed on your issue and side.

I don't want to say how I'm preparing, but I do intend to do so in a way that would hopefully allow me to advance. Since I won't be having "law review" on my resume, I figure having "Moot Court Semi-finalist/finalist" on it instead wouldn't be too shabby. With my choice of career paths, I actually think this would be more of an asset to me and my resume.

Anyway, everything else is on hold until we get more information after the surgery on Wednesday, so it is helpful that I have something else to focus on.

Labels: