The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me....

It's nice to have a birthday on a weekend, and especially nice when your spouse treats the whole weekend like your birthday! Yesterday we went to the quilt auction out at Fresno Pacific University. I have wanted to go to that for years, but never actually made it. It was so much fun! I always love looking at the quilts at the fair every year, but this is even better, because you can buy them! I was too nervous to bid, but hubby got into it and bought a couple. You wouldn't believe how much some of them go for. We were there for most of the day and the highest price we saw one sell for was $5250! Amazing! It seems like the bigger the quilt, along with the more intricate the design and the better the colors, the higher it would sell for.

In addition to the quilts, you wouldn't believe how many different kinds of food they had there. And the stuff was good and homemade! Hubby enjoyed some of the fritters and pie, but I stuck with some tri-tip and soft tacos. Yum! I want to make going to this a yearly tradition. It's for a good cause and a lot of fun too.

After church today, hubby and I went out to lunch and he took me shopping and let me pick out my own present. Because I had no idea what I wanted, I had suggested this and I think it was a good idea. Hubby didn't have to stress and I got to pick out exactly what I wanted. Of course, he also had bought me a new spring Christian Dior purse. Not that I need another handbag, but it is an obsession of mine you know.

Later we went to dinner with family at Fahrenheit 5104, which is a new restaurant at Shaw and West. It's only been open a couple weeks and I do highly recommend it. We've been there twice so far and everything is very tasty and they did a nice remodel on the space that used to be a Chinese restaurant. They serve "Armenian, southern, Cajun and tapas" which struck us as quite an odd assortment. When we went the first time, it was just hubby and I, and we ordered 5 different tapas (Spanish appetizers) and all were excellent. Tonight we split a few tapas and then ordered entrees (which all come with both soup AND salad). The prices seem very reasonable and it is a nice atmosphere. We're happy to find someplace we like that actually has parking (ie., NOT RiverPark) and it good.

It's weird that for the next 2 weeks I only have Monday and Tuesday classes. That will be a big help as I get ready for finals. I have major work I need to do on my outlines, especially Con. Law. Speaking of Con. Law, because of a misunderstanding between the professor and the school, we have to go to a class next Saturday afternoon for 3 hours. UGH! He apparently didn't realize he didn't have class the first week of January because his class meets on Mondays, so he has to make that material up somehow. I don't think he can require us to be there, but what are you going to do? I don't like the class, but I don't want to miss anything.

BTW, Mr. Rausch is enjoying his freedom, but he's not drinking any screwdrivers! LOL!

Labels: , ,