The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Back In It

Ugh. Yes, I have now registered and start classes on Monday. I really enjoyed this month off, spending time with my kids and just being a normal person for awhile. I have been trying to get all my reading and briefing done for the first week. I have about 100 more pages to do. It seems to me that most classes are having 100 pages a week. First year, it was more like 40 pages a week. First year I had 3 substantive law classes, so it was about 120 pages of reading a week. Now it is about 500 pages a week. Ugh again.

My prediction based on my reading so far is that I'm going to like Property and Crim. Law, hate Con. Law and Tax, and undecideded about Bus. Org. (don't mind the reading but not sure about the professor).

This first week is going to be crazy. Of course, my schedule for the whole year will be too, for that matter. I have class Monday afternoon AND evening, Tuesday evening, and Thursday afternoon AND evening, and I work Tuesday and Thursday mornings in Small Claims. I know I will come to hate Thursdays. Anyway, this Thursday, I am going to drive up to Oakland AFTER my evening class because we are flying my daughter to Boston on Friday morning to start school at MIT. We are then coming home on Sunday, so it is going to be a super fast trip. I just couldn't send her off on her own.

I did find out that I can do all 4 units of my clinical units at the Small Claims Advisory. Even though it is not recommended, I'm considering doing it, because if I do, I will have all those units done before finals in May. Then, if I get an internship somewhere, I can just do it and not worry about hours or work product to turn in. Now, I'm leaning that direction. We'll see how things go once I actually start this schedule.

I was on the panel of second year students who addressed the first year class the other night during their orientation. I'm not sure we really put the fright into them that they needed to get them through the first year. There were things I wanted to say that weren't items on the specified agenda. Oh well. I did get thanked afterward by another mom, and I told her to ask me anytime for help or if she had questions, so I was glad about that.

I feel like my life is about to change forever, and it is. I can't believe my daughter is really about to leave. I know she will never again live here, in this town. It's so hard to realize that. It's not just that I will miss her as my daughter. I genuinely like her, as a person, for who she is. If we were the same age, she is the type of person I would want as a friend. I'm glad that I have raised her in a way that she is independent enough to feel confident to go all the way across the country to go to school, yet selfishly, it is hard to let her go. And how can I not wonder if I have really done a good job as a mother? It is unsettling, because when I was growing up, being a mother was my sole goal in life.

I'm thankful for the "distraction" that law school and all its busyness will provide me this year. Maybe it will help me survive my daughter's leaving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home