The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Moot Court

I served as a time keeper for the moot court competition tonight. Because I will be doing moot court myself next year, I am SO glad that I did this today. I will not be nearly as nervous now, knowing firsthand what is involved, and seeing what the judges are looking for. I'm debating if I should go to watch the semi-finals tomorrow night, or the finals on Friday. It is so interesting to watch everyone. Each person's style is different, and it is nice to be able to hear the judge's comments on each.

Even though the judge's were pretty hard with some of their questioning on the students, their grading was not overall strict. It seemed to me they were looking more for poise, during those tough questions, than necessarily the "right" answer. Makes me feel a little bit better. Also makes me want to hear the finals to get even more insight for next year.

I was telling my kids about the moot court the other day, and after a pause, my daughter asked, "Doesn't anyone talk?" After a HUH moment, I realized, "NO, it is MOOT court, not MUTE court!" LOL.

Overall, this was a very worthwhile experience. I'm very glad to have participated and know this will be a big help to me next year at this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home