The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Class Participation

For my Torts class, the final class grade was comprised as follows:

70% Final exam
10% December Midterm
10% Spring Midterm
5% Quizzes
5% Class participation

Class participation was defined on the syllabus to be: being prepared when called on and participation in a group presentation. Since I had a written brief for every case, every day of the class, and used them when called on, and did the group thing, I (mistakenly) assumed I would get the whole 5 points. When I did the backwards calculations, it was clear that I did not. I emailed the professor and finally heard back from her today. I got 2 lousy points. Before I even wrote back to ask why, she said, "Participation points were earned not only by being prepared when called upon but also by voluntary participation in class discussion. Only two people earned the full five points."

Ugh. I know one of the 2 people who got the full 5 points, and she talked a LOT. There is no way, even if I was trying, I could have talked that much in class. I'm just not that type. But I would have talked more than I did IF I had known it was being counted like that. I just think it is unfair that the syllabus wasn't really correct. Not that I'm going to do anything about it, but I'm not happy.

My professor for my summer school class tonight announced that we are 1/3 way through the class already. Yikes. I'm not even in a "rhythm" yet, with reading, studying, classes, etc., so it just seems weird. By the time I am, it will be over! She is allotting 10% of the grade for a written and orally presented brief, and class participation. Hmmm....wonder how much I'll need to talk to get those points!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home