The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Serves me right!

Once every month or so my law school holds an informational law forum for potential students. I attended one about 2 years ago when I was considering attending law school. After one of the admissions officers gives the official school info, several law students give some first hand info, along with answering questions.

Why had I never been asked to be one of those students. Wasn't I a good representative of our school, I wondered?

This afternoon, while sitting in a classroom waiting for the first meeting of my Children and the Law class to start, the professor called me out of the classroom. "Do you have Moot Court tonight?" he asked. No. "Do you have another class tonight?" No. Ah, they had a live one. "Would you be willing to come and talk at the law forum tonight?" Even though I had worked all morning at Small Claims, and would have class all afternoon, how could I refuse? Of course, now I know that is more an act of desperation in the selection of students they pick to talk (at least how they picked me!). It was more that they needed a body who was willing and able. Oh well, I'm not too proud to turn that down. Plus, it felt good to represent the school in a somewhat "official" way.

There were actually 3 of us new 2nd year students there. We all have different backgrounds, interests, and lives, so I thought we were a very good mix to present to those who came to the forum. I hope we were helpful. I think we were. They asked us a lot of questions, and I just tried to give them the kind of information I wanted to be told when I was at that point.

I thought it was funny that I had always thought it was something of an "honor" to be asked to speak at the forum, when my being asked was more of just an availability thing. Oh well. I feel like I did my part to represent what law school is like, especially from the viewpoint of a stay at home mom (which if you recall, I was the only member of my class that admitted to being one).

An interesting point was the admissions officer saying that our class was made up of 89 people originally. I know we were down to around 75 by December midterms, and are now down to around 52 people. That puts us at a 58% pass rate for the first year. I remember them telling us at the beginning of the year that 1/3 to 1/2 of us would not make it past the first year. And they were correct.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home