The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Friday, March 17, 2006

I'm SO nervous I can hardly stand it!

Eleven hours from now I'll know if my daughter was accepted by MIT. That is her top choice. Because she wants it so badly and because she has worked so hard, I want it for her too. Of course, selfishly, I hope she ends up in CA. She didn't get anything in the mail today, so I think there is a good chance she'll hear from Cal Tech and UCSD tomorrow, but if MIT wants her, it won't matter. I don't know how she is going to sleep tonight, because it's going to be hard enough for me!

So, turned in my paper before noon today. The new assignment wasn't out yet, so I'll pick it up tomorrow. I'm happy to have 3 weeks for this one. Kind of nice to have a little bit more time.

Today, I am thankful that Blogger is finally working right after 3 days of troubles. YEAH! And another small one.......when I moved back to town from the bay area in 98, the local paper sent us an info package that said you could request "porch" delivery if you so desired. I have grown up here, and NEVER heard that before. I have spent years playing "find the paper" every morning, so since that time, I have always requested porch delivery. Not all carriers are thrilled to provide that service, but it is so nice when they do, especially when you have construction going on in your neighborhood like I do and don't like to be out at the curb looking for your newspaper in your pajamas when contractors are right there watching you! From time to time, they get lazy and the paper starts getting further and further from the porch and I have to call the paper and "remind" them I want porch delivery.

A few weeks ago, it was getting really bad. I was having to go out and search for it every morning. Often it would be right up against one of the steps leading up to our house, which meant you couldn't see it unless you went all the way down there. Other times it was in the bushes or grass. Still other times it was at the edge of the driveway. I don't LIKE to call and complain, so I was tolerating it, secretly hoping they would give me my porch delivery again.

Well, I never called, but last week when it started raining, it began appearing on my porch again. At first, I thought it was a one time fluke, but it has been up there every morning for at least a week now. I know this is a silly thing, but when you are LOOKING for things to be thankful for, you find them, even if they are small. And even if it is small and silly, it was a nice way to start the day today....being in a grateful mood.

Right now I'm thankful for the weekend, and being able to sleep in an extra hour tomorrow (if I can sleep, that is!).

Ok, MIT.......what's it going to be???

1 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Blogger cookie monster said...

good luck to your daughter, heres hoping she gets accepted!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home