The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Researching away

I had the time, so I showed up an hour early for Legal Research today. Last week there were 40+ of us squished into the library, and since I had shown up only 2 minutes prior to class time, I had an uncomfortable front row seat in a plastic chair. I was NOT about to let that happen again, so I figured I'd show up early, pick up my first assignment, read it, and maybe get going on it.

It actually was nice to have the library virtually to myself. I read the assignment and then tried to remember how to start researching. Fortunately, at 10 minutes prior to class time (when I thought it oddly strange that NO ONE had yet come for class), a study group member popped in, saw me and told me that (since I had gone into the library) the professor had taped a note on the door saying we were meeting in our regular class. Ah, ok!

Today we learned about Shepardizing. Even though the exercise we did wasn't the most exciting, I'm glad she is MAKING us do this, because just telling us how to do it would not help me to really know what I'm doing.

Since I finished early, I tried to research some more items for my assignment. I was not feeling very productive. I found a statute, but I'm not sure how good it is. I think our study group is going to meet there on Friday to research together. Having a paralegal in our group is GREAT! She knows how to do this really well, and I think she will be help us if we get stuck or don't know where to look for something. Again, maybe another dork feature of mine, but I kinda like looking up this stuff. (NOTE: it is still new and hasn't had a chance to get old or mundane or frustrating yet.) Maybe it's because instead of being "forced fed" the info you need for the assignment, you have the "thrill of the hunt" involved. LOL

Oh, I was hoping the CivPro grades for the whole class would be posted today, but they weren't....at least not when I looked before class. So, calculations on that will have to wait.

And THANK YOU to the 2 nice comments from last night. What you both said is true and much appreciated. I didn't come here to show off and get the highest grade. (Wanting to do that might be some of my personality, but it's not my purpose.) I have no intention of slipping in anything that I'm doing, and will definitely do and try even more and harder.

An interesting note: I KNOW that I am more of a morning and afternoon person. That is why I don't take evening classes. I have lamented the fact that our exams are all in the evening, 6:30-9:30pm. I KNOW I just don't think that clearly or am I in the mood for this sort of thing in the evenings. By 8pm, I'm really done for the day, academically speaking. So, take a look at this:

Legal Analysis: First half of exam 90% , second half of exam 62%
Torts: First half of exam 88% , second half of exam 80%
CivPro: First half of exam 80% , second half of exam 55%

See a pattern there??? I know the school sets up special testing for students with various disabilities or problems. And these testing times are earlier than the regular test times (but the same day). Do you suppose I could qualify as being "evening-challenged" and get them to give me the exam earlier in the day? While I'm not really serious, I wonder about it. It doesn't seem fair that others can test earlier in the afternoon if I don't have that option. A few hours would probably help me SO much. When I look at my first half results, I just wonder if the second half would have been the same if I had been able to take the exam in the afternoon, WHICH IS WHEN I SIGNED UP TO TAKE THE CLASS! Probably nothing I'll do anything with, but makes me think.

Gotta run!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home