The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I have a "sweet ride".....

No, I don't think about it that way, even though that is the comment I got on it the other day. I mean I have a nice car, but I don't get hung up on it. (I have plenty of nice things, but I don't believe having them defines who I am, nor do I base my existence on having them.)

It's funny.....when you first get a car, it is SOOO cool. Pretty soon, you are used to it and it is "normal". I felt like this with the first car I purchased (old VW bug), the first new vehicle (Mitsubishi truck), the first new car (Camry), the next new car (Mazda 626), the first SUV (Mercedes ML 320), the first sportscar (2000 Corvette). Well, maybe the "cool" part of the vette never wore off for me (but that is another extremely long post in inself!). Somewhere along the way, you just get "used to" the upgrading. And what used to thrill you, now is no big deal.

Maybe part of it was the lesson I learned from owning the vette (which ended up owning me!). It's fun to have a cool car, but having one doesn't make YOU cool, or make you any different. I guess that's why I have to chuckle to myself when someone makes a deal about what I drive. Yeah, it's a very nice car, but I'm still the girl who was happy to have her own VW bug!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home