The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Saturday, April 05, 2008

More Changes

When I started working at the U.S. Attorney's office in August, I was the only student running the misdemeanor unit there. It was very overwhelming at first, but I quickly fit right in, and loved the extremely fast-paced environment. It's always crazy-busy there and I wouldn't have it any other way. The longer I have been there, the more I love it.

One of my study partners from school joined me there in January. It has been an adjustment to share "my department" with someone, to realize that people have different work styles, etc. I finally reached the point where I was happily letting my partner have half of the work load, and concentrating my efforts only on my cases.

Sooooo, I guess life doesn't want me to get too comfortable. My partner had an issue come up that has forced him to be unable to continue this internship. It's hard to know how to react. Part of me didn't even want to think about it- I had just allowed myself to give all these cases over, and now they were my responsibility AGAIN! Ugh! But, of course, the bigger part of me was happy to have full responsibility for the department again, knowing full well that I ran it for 6 months with no help.

The hardest part is that my time left there is so limited. I have 3 more weeks, then I am taking a week and a half off for finals, and then coming in for another week and a half to wrap things up. I'm then going to be studying for the bar exam through the end of July. Unfortunately, this will leave the department with no one for the entire summer. The interview and checkground process takes 3-4 months, so even if they hurry, they most likely will not be able to get anyone before August. Of course, this is what happened last summer, and the bare minimum was covered by my boss, while everything else just piled up.

I've offered to come back and work August through November (when I get my bar results) and help train whomever they hire and get them up to speed. That will help the department AND me, because I am going to need something to do those months so I don't go out of my mind waiting to hear if I passed or not. They are apparently trying to figure out a way to have me do that. So YEAH! :)

Labels: