The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Am I Really That Close to the End?

It's March. Classes end in April. My last final is May 6. It doesn't seem possible that I'm so close to being done. Of course, things aren't really over until August 1. And even then, not really until I actually pass the bar. But this will be the first step in being done.

Nothing new in my classes really. I do have a midterm in Remedies next Tuesday. Ugh. I last updated my outline 3 weeks ago, so I need to do that today. I don't have any other tests until the finals though. Remedies is April 28, Evidence is April 30, Wills & Trusts is May 2, and Legal Process is May 6.

I had a meeting with my LP professor yesterday. Our final in there is a 3 hour "performance exam" (one of the 3 types of tests given on the bar exam). We have done 2 of them so far for that class, and will do one more in a couple weeks. There is no possible way to study for that sort of thing because they just give you a set of facts, a library of law, and a set of instructions. Your job is to draft whatever kind of document they tell you to within the 3 hour period using only what they give you. So really, after my W&T final I can relax a bit (at least until the bar studying begins).

I'm still loving my internship. It actually makes me sad to think about leaving in 2 months. I want to find out if there is anything I can come back and do from August to November when I get my bar results. Hopefully they will want me, as I can't imagine sitting around doing nothing for three months.

It's weird to be so close to the end. I know it is coming, yet in some ways, it is hard to believe because sometimes I thought it would never end. And there's such conflicting emotions. There is comfort in difficult things, because at least I know what to expect. Not a whole lot of comfort in the unknown. I know there are people I will miss too. But with things moving at a whirlwind pace around me, it is not like I even have extra time to spend with them before it's all done. Weird, sad, frustrating, yet hopeful because I'm excited about the future and what it will bring.

Labels: , ,