The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Gift That Keeps On Giving

Yesterday we visited some family members out of town and exchanged gifts. We don't see them often, and I think it is fair to say they don't really know our likes/tastes, etc. When I opened my gift from them, it included 2 bottles of perfume. (I must add that I think a fragrance is a very personal thing to give to someone, and unless you know for certain that they like a particular one, I think it is best to give them something else!) I did not recognize either name (I tend to like ones by Ralph Lauren and Dior.) Rather than opening it and spraying some on right then and there, I merely sniffed the bottle and graciously thanked the giver.

While that little sniff lead me to believe I would not like it, I did want to give it a fair chance. So once we got home, I opened it up and sprayed a single shot into the bathroom air (NOT on me!). I cannot fully describe how horrible it was! To say it smells like something only an 80 year old woman who was hard of smelling would wear doesn't quite capture it. Over the next couple of hours, it seemed to spread and everyone else in the house was complaining about it.

This morning I woke up and it is still here! I'm seriously afraid this smell is never going to leave. I sprayed some good smelling room spray in there, and it seems to have lost the battle. I think some of it may have gotten on the sweatshirt I was wearing at the time, so now I'm washing not only that, but everything else that was in the hamper with it overnight.

I triple boxed both bottles and put them out in the trash can at the side of the house. I couldn't risk them breaking and making my trash cans smell like that. I can only hope that with the passage of time, my life will return to normal and this scent will somehow dissipate. But after over 12 hours since spraying that one little spray and I'm still smelling it, I'm beginning to wonder!

Labels: ,