The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Ready, Set, Organize

I'm 2 days into my internship at the DA's office. Not that I've really done anything yet, but I'm just loving being there and watching/reading/seeing all the stuff that goes on and what actually happens in the real world. I do not care for all the theoretical crap they teach us in law school because I lean towards the practical. I want to know how to really do stuff.

I spent yesterday kind of shadowing the deputy DA I'm working with. Most of the day was spent in court, waiting for one thing after another. I guess it could best be described as boring but interesting. I mean, it wasn't like anything exciting happened, but again, I liked seeing how things really work.

I must say, everyone I have met, both people in the office and in court, have been so nice to me! The hard part is I'm meeting so many people and I have no way to remember all their names. I'm just hoping some of them start to sink in eventually. At least I know all the DAs in our office.

I spent about 5 hours today reading over past gang injunctions, local and from other jurisdictions in the state. Very interesting. I am truly a dork because I'm excited that I now have the go ahead to reorganize all the prior injunctions. When I saw the files the other day, I couldn't believe the mess they were in, but I didn't know if it was my place to do anything about it. Well, apparently it is. I know it is kind of a yucky job (which explains why no one else has done it), but I know I'm good at that kind of thing, so I will be very relieved when I have it all set up the way I think it should be. And of course, once I do, everyone else will love it too. Dorky, dorky me.

In other slightly important news, the final grades were posted today. Since I took the Bus. Org. final soooooo long ago, I had no idea what to expect, as I cannot remember anything about the test, much less what bits of wisdom I may have managed to type out under pressure. I ended up with a high B in that class, so I'm thrilled. I certainly didn't expect that going in.

I guess I'm most amazed at my Con. Law grade. Seriously, I thought if I were to fail any class, it would be that one. It was just too close to Political Science (the only C I got during my undergraduate classes) for me. In my thinking, people believe one way or another. You're not going to change them. So, it isn't worth talking about unless you just like to debate, which I do not. Anyway, I did try to be engaged in the class once a month, like I mentioned, when I knew I'd be on call, but other than that, I didn't do anything for that class. I'm anxious to see my actual exams and read any comments written on them.

Next week when I register for summer school I should get my revised ranking. Since I'll now be "bumped up" and included with the 4th years/graduating students, I assume my number will be lower. Again, I can't say I'm concerned. I'm getting great experience, and know I'm doing fine, so why stress over something that ultimately won't matter?

Labels: ,