The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Saga of My Starbuck's Card

Last November, hubby and I went to Hawaii over Thanksgiving break for our 10th anniversary. The week before, while talking to the girl at Starbuck's about the trip, she suggested getting a card while there, as Hawaii's designs are unique and not available in the rest of the country. Of course, I couldn't resist and made a stop while there to do that. Not only was this an exclusive Hawaii card, but it was the Christmas Hawaii card. Every time I use it, people comment on it. I admit it is dumb, but I like having one that no one else has. ; )

Since then, I have used the convenient online reloading feature on this card. It saves time since most of the clerks seem to have a difficult time combining the task of adding money to the card while charging me for the drink I'm ordering. Anyway, the week after I got back from Boston, I couldn't find my card. I had it in Boston for sure, so after searching for it through all my purses and pant pockets, I assumed I had lost it and called it in to report it. Because I had registered the card, Starbuck's sent me a new (plain, boring) card with my remaining balance. No one had found and used my card, because the balance was the same.

About a week later, I was cleaning out my car and found it! I was so happy. In the meantime, I've been working down the balance on the plain card. Today, I finally needed to reload a card, so I went to do so online, using my favorite Hawaiian card number. But, to my dismay, it said the account was closed and wouldn't let me.

I didn't want to give up so easy. I called their 800 number, and after sifting through voicemail and waiting 10 or more minutes, I finally got someone who unfortunately told me that once a card is cancelled, it is dead and can't be reactivated. I must have sounded very disappointed because she asked me what card it was. When I told her it was the Hawaii Christmas card, she put me on hold for another minute. Then she came back and asked for the card's numbers. She said they don't normally do this, but a manager was there, and since it was a special card, they would do so for me. : ) Apparently it takes about 3 days before it will be back in the system, but I get to use my favorite card again!

How's that for a totally useless story?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home