The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Friday, October 27, 2006

I am Morticia

I have an uncle who has Down's syndrome. He lives in Phoenix with my cousin, but he visits my mom (his sister) here is town a couple times a year. He has certain things he really likes, one of which is Halloween, including dressing up and having parties.
............
About a dozen or so year ago, the sequel to the Addams Family movie was going to be filmed up in the mountains near here and a casting call was put out in the paper. A bunch of us in my family thought it would be fun, so we went. They were apparently looking for several hundred "rich, WASPY- looking" parents to be in some scenes at the expensive camp Wednesday and Pugsley were sent to. They ended up calling me to be one of the dozen stand ins because I am the same height/build as Christine Baranski, who plays the camp director in the film. (It was a fun 2 weeks working on that! Hey Barry.....call me!)

Anyway, the result of this was my uncle, when he found out I had worked on the movie, insisted on calling me "Morticia", even though that is not who I was or standing in for. But, there was some words my uncle just can't say. "Morticia" is one of them. To him, it is "Teresa".

Ever since then, when he sees me, I am "Teresa", but he means "Morticia". (And of course, to him, daughter is "Wednesday", and my son is "Pugsley", so we all get different names when he is in town!) So, when my mom decided to have not just a party, but a costume party this year for my uncle when he is here, my choice for a costume was easy. : ) I have a long black wig, fake eyelashes, and a tight black dress. I tried it all on this afternoon and think I freaked out my son! LOL He has never seen me without blonde hair. It should be fun on Sunday, though I think this will only cement my name as "Morticia" forever to him.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home