The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

38 Instead of 68

Originally when I took my daughter to school at MIT in August, we planned for her not to come home until Christmas. She didn't think it would be practical to try to come home over the short Thanksgiving break because she would end up spending 2 of the 4 days traveling.

I have secretly contemplated maybe flying out there myself. I can hardly stand it as seemingly everyone else in the family has been going back there over the last couple weeks, while I am stuck here in school and not able to get away.

Last night while talking to my daughter, I asked her if she had met anyone who lives on that side of the country that might invite her home for Thanksgiving. Nope, the girl that she is most friendly with did invite her, but she lives in Texas. Heck, I said, if she wants to fly that far, she is coming home. So then we started talking. She has a class that ends at 5pm on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, but if she skipped that, she could leave at 1pm. Hmmm..

I checked into flights after getting off the phone. Ouch! Darn, I wish she had asked about this earlier. Oh well. To me, it doesn't matter because I miss her SO much, and it is much cheaper to fly her here, than to fly hubby, son and I there (along with 4 nights at a hotel). I wasn't sure though, if she really wanted to come home or not. I did finally get her to admit that she does miss everyone and want to come for a visit. : ) Sounds corny, but as a mom, you live for your kids saying that kind of stuff.

So, I booked the flights (which is going to mean some very traffic-filled drives on that busy weekend up to the bay area airports) and listed a few things on ebay to pay for them. And now, I only have to wait 38 more days, instead of 68, to see her!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home