The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Monday, February 27, 2006

I'm am SO unprepared!

That is how I feel anyway....both for the CivPro midterm tomorrow and my Legal Analysis paper that is due on Friday. I wrote my paper "thinly" getting in the skeletal arguments and fact comparisons, but not fleshing it out completely. It is 5 pages as is, so I think that leaves me just enough room to beef it up in the ways I know it needs it, but I just don't feel good about this one. I know it is not going to be another 99. That's ok. I don't expect that. Getting a 99 was just a huge bonus. But somehow, I feel like I'm missing something major. I guess I'll email my professor for help on the structure, and maybe something will click with me.

I feel totally overwhelmed by CivPro. When I went to the Saturday review session a few weeks ago, it was all making sense. Now, when I go over old tests, my heart starts to race and I think, "How would I possibly answer that?" What is it about this class that just freaks me out? Maybe because I don't see a "formula" or consistency. When I met with my professor and asked him about 2 answers from the fall midterm that I clearly had in my answer, yet had not received points for, his reply was, "Well, you're not going to like this. But I look at the entire answer the student has given. And even if they have a particular answer down, if I don't think they really understand the concept, I don't give them the points." While I understand his thinking, how screwed up is that if you are the student who misses those points? So now, not only do I need to say the right words and do the right analysis, somehow in the process I need to convince my professor that I actually understand everything I say!

At least in 36 hours, the exam will be just about done. I just wish I had the confidence in this class that I have in my other 3 classes. Now, off to study!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home