The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Everyone Loves a Parade

Because my nephew was playing with the Clovis North band in the Veteran's Day parade today, I woke my son up and made him go watch it with me. Even though he protested about having to wake up so "early", I think he enjoyed it.

We got there about an hour early, as I figured you would have to if you wanted a decent spot to see everything. We ended up on the curb near the beginning of the route. It was getting quite crowded and close to the starting time a mother with 4 little kids plopped 3 of them on the curb next to us while she stood with her infant behind the crowd. Her 6 year old son (Ronald) was very curious and outgoing, so we become fast friends.

When Ronald and his sister began speculating how many F16s were going to fly over (after it was announced they would open the parade), the numbers kept getting higher and higher. I leaned over and asked him how high he could count. "Umm," he thought for a second. "Ten hundred." (Two F16s flew over, very low to the ground, which was very cool!)

Since the parade was about a half hour late in getting started, Ronald and I had plenty of time to talk. The Fresno State flag girls and mascot were standing right in front of us as we waited. Ronald was trying to get Timeout's attention for the longest time by yelling, "Mr. Bulldog!" I finally told him that his name was "Timeout", which changed the yell to "Mr. Timeout!" It was funny, but I told him it was just "Timeout", no Mr. in front. Timeout finally came over and Ronald gave him such a huge hug that Timeout nearly fell over backwards.

Many veterans of different wars took part in the parade. Some walked as groups, others rode in various vehicles. They seemed thrilled to be honored, as their waves were returned by the eager children in the crowd. Even though I'm normally not much of a parade person, I have to admit that even I thought this one was kind of fun.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home