The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Schedule for Fall Classes

Surprising, the fall registration packet arrived in today's mail. I had assumed I wouldn't see it for a couple weeks yet. My schedule is going to be a weird one. I'm going to have Property and Constitutional Law on Mondays (one afternoon, one evening), Criminal Law on Tuesdays (though I haven't decided when to take it), and both Business Organizations and Taxation on Thursdays (one afternoon, one evening). I won't have any classes on Wednesdays or Fridays.

For Criminal Law, I was told that the guy that teaches the night class is better, but I prefer afternoon classes. Also, since my daughter will be away at school and no longer home and driving my son to school and back, I have to consider other things this year. Such as, is it better to go to the evening class so I can pick my son up from school (instead of him having to take the bus and walk another day) or go to the afternoon class and leave him home alone another evening. As I've tried to do the whole time in law school, I need to balance the needs of my family in the choices I make in law school. This is just going to be another one of those things.

In addition to my classes, I will still be working at the Small Claims Advisory until I complete my clinical units. I will have 2 units done by the end of September. I'm considering doing 3 units there, but if I do, I will most likely cut back to just one shift a week, after completing my first 2 units there. My Thursdays are already going to be long days, so I will probably give up that shift and just keep my Tuesday morning one. It would take me until the end of February to finish that last unit at the slower pace, but I really like it there, so wouldn't mind sticking around. Who knows? Maybe I'll want to keep on after I've finished my units there, just like some of the more senior advisors have done.

I got a head start on getting my books. BarristerBooks.com was out of stock and/or higher priced on them, so I got the 4 that Barnes and Noble had in stock: for Property (ISBN #0314150455 and 0735557926) for Bus. Orgs. (ISBN #1587788780) and for Crim. Law (ISBN# 1587787199). I still have 7 more that I will need to get, probably from the place in town, though their website doesn't list any books for the fall yet. I guess I will call them tomorrow and see what they have in stock so far.

First assignments won't be available until August 11, but going by last year, not every one will even be ready then. I want to get them as soon as possible so I can start the reading and begin working my one week ahead schedule. It's going to be a crazy and busy year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home