The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Summer School

My CivPro teacher told us that he would be teaching a 2 unit summer school class, 2 afternoons a week, in "Children and the Law". He is also teaching a 1 unit class in "Family Law Mediation". I have been trying to find out the summer school schedule for MONTHS now, but apparently my school's attitude is that we don't need to know what is going to be offered or when until we receive our registration packets in early May. UGH. Don't they know some of us are obsessive about knowing and planning things?

I'm not really sure how all of this is going to work. The school reworked the curriculum because they decided to cut summer school down to 1 month, instead of 2. That's fine with me, however, it does make me nervous that I will now have to take extra units in the school year to make up the the ones I won't be able to do over the summer. Now, I only need to take 4 units over the summer, 2 as an elective, and 2 as a clinical. If nothing else fits my schedule, I'll take the Children and the Law class, as that is one that interests me. Then I'm going to have to see if I can get into the Small Claims Advisory. I'm supposedly the next one on the list, but apparently they aren't busy enough to add anyone else right now. If I could get that and work 144 hours, I would get the 2 units. I may take that 1 unit class also, just in case I can't get in that many hours.

Next year, doing the 3 year option, I will have to take:
Business Organizations 4 units (2 semesters, but over earlier than other classes)
Constitutional Law 6 units
Crim. Law and Pro. 6 units
Professional Responsibility 2 units
Real Property 6 units
Taxation 3 units (a one semester class)
Elective 2 units

The old schedule called for doing 6 units over summer school, so you see that extra 2 units of elective added in to the second year line up. If I can do that Family Mediation, AND 2 units of working in the Small Claims over summer, I would only have to get one more unit of elective in during the next school year. Of course, I don't think they even offer any other 1 unit electives, so maybe that won't even help me.

I'm guessing they are going to have to offer more electives in the school year since they changed the schedule like this. Again, it would be nice if they published these a few months ahead, so those of us with obsessive personalities could have one less thing to stress about.

Today, I'm thankful for FINALLY not feeling sick. It has been 3 weeks since I got that cold. What a nasty one! I am very happy to be rid of that! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home