The Gratuitous Promise

The Gratuitous Promise: not worth anything, but I'm making it anyway!.........My thoughts as a stay-at-home mom turned law student, who just passed the California bar exam.

Monday, January 30, 2006

I'm either a huge nerd or just a procrastinor....

Or maybe both! I found this evening that I much rather do research for my next Legal Analysis paper than work on regular stuff (read, brief, outline). I originally was only going to outline today's tort class, but when I got home, I thought I'd just look up a couple of cases on Findlaw. That turned into about 2 hours of research! I have a bunch of good cases, though I still need some more. I don't know the exact structure of the paper yet, though, so much will depend on that. I'm going to the library before class tomorrow to get more research done. I had some cases that were too old to be in Findlaw, so I need to look them up in the library, and check out a few more areas.

Of course, it's not like I'm letting research put me behind. I'm still 2 full weeks ahead on my reading and briefing. I don't really even need to read any CivPro tomorrow, as 2 weeks from tomorrow there is no class, so that means I don't need to read anything for that day. That gives me more time to work in the library, so that is where I'll be tomorrow.

On an unrelated note, I had the repair guy out on Friday to fix our microwave. This was the second time it has been fixed. If it were some junky counter top model, I'd have tossed it and bought another, but it is the built in one that came with the (brand new) house. Anyway, a frickin' HOUR after he fixed it, it started randomly beeping AGAIN! There must be something wrong other than the control panel, which has now been replaced twice. I'm getting sick of this. Now, I have another 2 service calls to look forward to....one to diagnose (and order parts) and one to install. UGH! At least I'm going to be killing 2 birds with this annoying stone, as the dishwasher needs fixing too. I've never had anything like this happen, but it seems like the spring (?) or whatever keeps the door from dropping to the floor like a rock is broken because that's just what happens now when you open it. Too bad the Kitchen Aid guy can't fix toilets too, because 2 of the 4 are running. It really sucks when stuff doesn't work right!

Back to school.....we have another Torts quiz on Monday. It's just short answer again, so I'm not too worried. I spent 5 hours this weekend updating our study group's CivPro outline. It still needs work, but I couldn't do anymore on it alone. That midterm is at the end of Feb., so we need to get that refined and work on some practice tests. I think we'll be doing that this week in our study session.

A big THANK YOU to everyone who has ranked some of our professors. If you haven't done so yet, click on the ad to the right and do it now! :)

1 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry about procrastinating. It sounds like you are already quite a bit ahead in your reading. As someone who has performed quite a bit a legal research, I am very familiar with the 10 minute task turning into 2 hours. It's like, where did all that time go? Personally, I enjoy research no matter how much time I end up spending in the law library. If you are enjoying the research now, you are in the right profession. Good luck with the assignment, the format is not hard, it is similar to the opposing party's paper, just more detailed! (facts would be helpful!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home